Monday, 12 March 2007

My love of old linen


I just spent four glorious days on the coast of Northern NSW's... It is just a picturesque place. We walked on the beach each morning and celebrated my husband's 40 th Birthday while we were there... It was a nice break but I wish is could have been longer.....One of my favourite antique shops is in a tiny little town called Bangalow... They have beautiful old gauze front cupboards, large old washing baskets, timber trugs and much more... It is more of a place of inspiration for me as there stock is a little expensive for my purse strings... This time I was lucky enough to pick up some gorgeous old European towels from the 1920's - 1940's. They were found in Europe in an old trunk that hadn't been opened since the war... They are so beautiful, I don't know whether I will be able to part with them... Some had hand embroidered initials on them and they had never been washed. I also, on our way home, found a gorgeous, soft pale blue, very old iron bed... so will post photos of that at a later date... This means my paint brush will be out again soon and I will paint my bedroom...

3 comments:

Christine said...

dearest cathy,
I'm so glad that you & your family had a such a lovely holiday together, I keep picturing azure blue water as far as the eye can see. I'm sure it must be as beautiful as the old pale blue iron bed that we'll get to see soon.
Smooth your hand over your antique linen towels for me, they look so lovely.
love,me

Katie said...

Oh Cathy Louise, what a treasure in those beautiful linens...I'm all covetous...I especially love the one with the red initial, but you know me & red - can't wait to see your neat old bed, too!

Deb said...

I love finding little antique & second hand shops while we are on holiday - makes everything you buy all the more special. Your linens are gorgeous & I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the iron bed you found -soft pale blue - sounds amazing!