Tuesday, 17 July 2007

Seventeen Years in the making




I had some one ask me on my last blog, how long has this look taken to get... It was a really great question as it helped me think of a new blog to write about.... I would tell anyone that asked me that question that I will never finish this house because it is a constant work in progress... It is sort of like an oil painting to me that changes with every mood that I have and every passion that I feel in my heart... I love this house... I will never forget the first time we walked into it and the smell of all the old timber and you could tell the wood fire had kept this tiny little cottage warm and was the focus of many beautiful meals shared in its tiny little space.... The top photo was what it looked like when we bought it 17 years ago this month... The second is a photo of the lounge room and then of course my studio/sewing room at the bottom... We had to replace most of the external wall with new timber as it hadn't been painted in over 50 years which was a huge expense that took as a long time to afford.... Back then we just had very basic furniture and then I moved onto a very true country style and as I have grown in myself and in my craft and seen what the world has to offer.. I have refined my style to what it is now... A sort of rustic/french simple style... So Andrea I hope this helps answer your question, just a little....

16 comments:

andrea said...

Well, I am humbled and in awe at what you have done to this once neglected and derelict house. The house, from the beginning, has loads of character and you can tell this just by looking at the photos. I agree that a home shouldn't remain stagnant and be a constant work in progress as this is what gives a home it's vitality.
Thankyou for shedding some light as to your homes history!

Leisa said...

What brave, brave people you both are. I think most of us would have run a mile!! I am totally amazed at the work you have done - I bet the local chins wagged for awhile when you first bought your gem. Congratulations to you both - I await the next beautiful pics of your amazing home.

Cathy Louise said...

Yes I am sure the sign said something like "renovators dream" but young and no children at that stage and there was definitely something about this house that showed a depth of history (being now the oldest dwelling in our little town) and seriously it may have looked bad but it had amazing bones.... No regrets just hard work..... Thanks Andrea and Leisa for dropping by...

Bethany said...

What an amazing amount of foresight you had to see the final vision and believe it could come true...the exterior looks so full of potential and character as well as the interior. It so great that you saw that and gave the house a chance at another life. You have done such an amazing job...your blog and the pics of your home are one of my most favorite places to visit in "blogland" Beautiful :)

lynn said...

Not only am I in awe at the work you have done...... but I admire the fact that you have grown and changed over the years and have worked together with your family, to create the loving and creative world that now envelop's all of you. You are a real inspiration thankyou,

Cathy Louise said...

What beautiful comments to start my day here in Australia... Thank you Bethany and Lynn....

Christine said...

your beautiful old home is so lovely. I can see the good bones that you and Geoff saw and have worked so hard to uncover and build on.
You have such a lovely way with your decorating!
I can't wait to see what happens next.

Angela Louise said...

Cathy, I didn't know that your house was like this when you started. Now I am in even more awe of what you and Geoff have achieved...wow, wow and wow! I can see this cute little old house was just waiting to be gathered up by some loving arms.It just looks a picture now with your lovely little front garden...good on you two, Angela.

Interiørhuset said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Interiørhuset said...

what a beautyfull blogg!
I have never been here before, but youre lovly pictures and this blogg atmosphere makes me want to visit you againe.
I hope it`s okay that i put you on my link list!

Rhonda Jean said...

I just found this site on an american blog and when I saw the photo I knew your house had to be in Queensland. I live in the south east corner. You've done a beautiful job with your work in progress. I've really enjoyed your photos.

I'm going to put a link to you on my blog.

Granne med Selma said...

What a lovely blogg you have! Extremely nice pictures. And I love your way of telling the story of the house as an oilpainting. I`ll will be back here soon again. Have a nice day!

Cathy Louise said...

Thanks ladies for all your wonderful comments

PAT said...

Hello Cathy, I'm so happy you told the story. I'm also happy you have those pictures from the beginning. I take pictures of what I call almost forgotten homes and wonder what their stories are. I'll blog about that, one of these days.

Your home is beautiful!
Pat

Garden_Antqs said...

What an absolutely cool house, you are so lucky!! I'm sure it was a lot of work, but well worth it.

Kate said...

What an amazing transformation! I love how you saw so much potential in your old home. I just found your blog today and am really looking forward to coming back later.